As many of you know, there is almost certainly going to be a trade war with China, with a 25% tariff on Chinese electronics coming into the United States being proposed. If this comes to pass, I will be forced to increase prices on nearly all the of parts used with my modifications. Nearly all of the parts, with the exception of capacitors, come from China. I charge cost pricing on all parts used, so any increase will reflected in the new price. I do not pad my parts costs, so I can not absorb this additional cost and am forced to pass it on to my loyal customers. For that, I am very frustrated. If I have to do this, I am sure 1,000 other modders out there will have to do the same. It truly is a shame.
I will attempt to update prices as they change, I may have to send an updated invoice for any order placed, which will only reflect my parts cost, the cost of labor will remain the same.
I just hope these foolish actions don’t stall the economy as a whole and lead to another Great Recession.
You know what, working on projects helps me more than not working on them. Please send me whatever ideas that pop to mind. Do you have an ancient console that no one else will touch? I am here to help. Do you want a custom Raspberry Pi system built into a cigar box? Let me know. Would you like a custom controller for ANY system EVER made? Give me a buzz at retro at cyberphreak.com or post/message me on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/RetroCyberphreak/
As always, my younger brother loves to throw new projects at me, in this case, a Gameboy Advance, AGB-001, aka, the one with the useless color screen. Previously, someone had installed a frontlight, that was way too bright and uneven. Fortunately, you can install the screen from the Gameboy Advance SP, second generation, with a little plastic modification. There are many sites that detail how to do it yourself, or I can do it for you, *wink*.
Thankfully, I actually have an x-y milling setup in my workshop, so modifying the housing was straightforward, but I don’t envy people who have to do it with nippers and a razor, yikes. The results are pretty amazing, so much so, I purchased a GBA a few days ago to do the mod myself. I like the form factor a lot and want to be able to play the gamut of Game Boy games on an amazing screen. I posted a video above, on my own personal machine.
I am tempted to add a pre-modded GBA as a standard product. Let me know in the comments if there is any interest.
I was able to return to my previous theme, “Mantra” after reading the freaking manual. I have been working on repairing a Coleco Adam: I replaced all the capacitors and added internal power supplies, so no more silly printer. More details on that one later, along with another Jaguar to Colecovision controller conversion.
I am also working repairing an Emerson Arcadia 2000 for Classic Game Room, its got issues man. That should be a fun write up.
I added one new product to the lineup of services, The famous McWill LCD mod for the Atari Lynx. Not cheap, but amazing when it is done.
So, keep tuned, hopefully I will put up some new video content soon.
I was successfully able to mod an Atari 5200, 4 port, original console. It was quite a challenge, but what I did discover is there are not many resources out there for modding the 5200. Below is a schematic of the circuit that worked for me:
This version of the 5200 video out differs in one respect, I replaced the fixed 2K Ohm resistor on the Chroma line and replaced it with a 10K, 20 turn potentiometer. I found I was able to adjust this pot until noise was more or less eliminated from the composite video. It may not be needed with S-Video. Another adjustment is on the 5200 board. There is a large potentiometer in the lower right quadrant that is the color adjust. I loaded up Ballblazer and adjusted the colors to what I thought looked most accurate.